Thursday, February 7, 2008

My First Blog 2/7/08


Today with the encouragement of my friend, Brigette, I am starting my blog. Please be patient with me, as I have no idea what I am doing. :)

I picked the title of this blog because, as with everything in my life, I seem to be about 5 - 10 years behind others my age. I married at 29 and worked as a paralegal until I became a mom at 38, and am just now, at 39 becoming a homemaker and stay at home mom. It has been my dream since childhood to be a wife and mother and I have finally arrived!

Though I have wonderful examples of homemakers in my mom, mother-in-law, sister and sisters-in-law, I feel like I have no idea what I am doing. Having been in the working world for so long we got used to eating out and, generally speaking, I put my cooking, cleaning, and home organizing skills on hold. I must say that I am very out of practice. I actually googled "how to be a homemaker" last week! There are many wonderful women's blogs out there with wonderful advice and ideas.

We have recently moved to CA where John has taken job. Our yard has a grapefruit tree and a lemon tree! So, as you can see from the picture of Joshua playing in the grapefruits, I need to find multiple ways to use citrus fruits.

I have rekindled my love of cooking and am enjoying testing out recipes for food, most recently enchiladas, twice stuffed baked potatoes and graham crakcers. Also, in reviewing many blogs of homemakers I have discovered what is now referred to as OAMC (once a month cooking). I also discovered a wonderful website for recipes http://www.recipezaar.com/.

Though I enjoy cooking and find it creative and soothing, I would rather spend my time playing with my son, Joshua, who lights up my days. So..... on the weekends when Papa is home to play, I cook meals for a week or two and freeze them. Then, during the weekdays I don't spend the entire day in the kitchen and I can play with Joshusa more.

I am still working out how to get all the laundry done, keep the house clean, etc. I am a cloth diapering mom (love, love, love them!!!) and generally dry our clothes and diapers on the line rather than in a dryer.

So, there it is, my first blog post.

1 comment:

Brigette said...

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! Miriam has a BLOG! I am so excited. It is awesome (I love the polka dots--in those colors they remind me of a bushel of citrus fruit!!!) How come Savannah Smiles isn't on your favorite movie list :)
I love the name of your blog also. you rock! Sorry i missed your calls today. First time i was in the shower, then we had a playdate of other Latin American adopted babies, and the second time i missed your call i was rocking marcella to sleep! sorry! Now, i am exhausted and think i might just find the bed to take a nap myself. HASTA PRONTO!!!! Bbbbbbbbbbb